Wednesday, May 13, 2009

FORE!!!!

Today was the
Moody Golf Classic
It was for sure classic....Here are just a few classic moments:

#1. Waking up at 4:30am. Even for me, the Chicago ringtone doesn't sound as good that early in the morning. I figured since this is a schmoozing event I should look nice, so I even curled my hair.

#2. Driving an ASTRO VAN at 5:30am. When I first got to the parking garage I tried my keys on another blue mini-van. I really actually love mini-vans and was excited to drive one (albeit early). When the key would not turn the lock I looked around to see what other blue van the keys could possibly work on... and then I saw it! The blimp of all mini-vans.... the ASTRO VAN! There was a Moody logo pasted on the side just in case I wasn't getting enough attention too. I picked up a couple of volunteers at their hotel and trying to load their luggage I got completely soaked. Remember how I curled my hair- yeah- not so curly anymore. Now it was more of a matted tangle that was sticky with hairspray. AWESOME! That'll bring in the big bucks....! Ironically, having "done" my hair ended up making it look like I was a lazy louse who came to this event with morning hair. (Apparently my hair was a big deal today... notice the blog space it's getting. hahahha) The directions were out great, we got there on time, go team go!

#2 1/2. Registration. I don't have much to say about this - it was pretty basic. Someone yelled out a shirt size and I brought it over to the table. Gold Star! However, people kept trying to figure out their teams- referring to them as threesomes and foursomes. Couldn't they think of a bird name for the teams?? Maybe I am just immature, but I'm just saying... maybe someone should consider that!

#3. Witnessing the Hole in One. This title is deceptive. It might make you think that someone actually sunk one- a birdie, an eagle, a silver hawk, I have no idea what their called.... but some kind of fowl. Oh no... there were no "fowls" to be had. BUT if someone did make it- I had to confirm that it was for real before they got the prize (a Harley Davidson Motorcycle). So, they gave me my own golf cart (see #4- Driving a Golf Cart) to sit in at the tee. I sat there all day and read my book or watched the beautiful nature I was a part of or yucked it up with the fellas or text Joe who was having a super miserable train ride. It was great! Except for the fact that it was raining torrentially. Oh yeah- you should have seen these guys out there trying to have fun while the rain came down in sheets. These men must really love Moody or golf or both to stick it out all day like they did. I could not have been prouder to be associated with Moody. I'd like to say thanks to a cart, an umbrella and a blanket that kept me pretty dry. "Thanks cart, umbrella and blanket. " (For you Latawnya)

#4. Driving a Golf Cart. IS SO MUCH FUN! If I had a list of things I want to do sometime in my life; driving a golf cart would for sure be on it. And now I can cross it off!!!!!! Hip-Hip-Hooray! This summer I want my Dad to take me golfing. I will drive and he can "teach me" how to golf. I don't really want to know how to play so much. It takes skill and all, but it's so.... nice. No one gets hurt or dirty.... maybe I am just a barbarian.

#5. Cuddling in the Cart. If right now you think you know what I am about to write, I promise you--- you don't! I had no idea what was coming. After the rain had taken a brief intermission a "threesome" stopped by Red #8. One of the men saw my blanket and asked if he could cuddle with me. I laughed- surely he was joking. Surely I was WRONG! He came around the other side of the cart and got in, under the blanket and we sat shoulder to shoulder, while his teammates waited for the previous group to clear the green and while they took their shots. There is no small talk manual for making small talk while cuddling in a golf cart with a soggy stranger... "uhhhh... staying dry? hahahahha" "I wish! hahahaha." (please re-read in slow motion) I have no doubt this man's intentions were above board, but REALLY????? REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????

#6. Clapping for Award Winners. Everyone gathered at the clubhouse for the prizes to be handed out. (drawings and silent auctions, etc.) Several people had left and right off the bat their names were being called for prizes. Well, since you have to 'be present to win' they kept calling names till they found a faithful golfer. Great for them, but it didn't really give people much confidence to start clapping when a name was called. It evolved into the most inconsistent group of clappers I have ever heard. There would be someone's name called who everyone knew and could see and there would be an epidemic of clapping all the sudden. Then some other man who no one knew, who was sitting in the back and had a very difficult name to pronounce was called and everyone kinda did the "raising hand, but then--- just kidding! brushing my hair down in back" kinda move. So I was trying to inspire a little more consistency- shouting OPA! at random and clapping through the announcment of the name- I figured that we should just keep a perpetual clap going ... to be fair.

Some other things may have occurred on the way home. Driving in the Dairy Queen exit (you know the ones that are narrow, curved and lined with cement borders) and then pulling up to the pay window to order. Seeing a mother goose walk her baby geese across the road in real life. You know... things like this. We made it home safe and sound though. CLASSIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment