Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Smooth Operator

From the outset of this post I will unashamedly admit that it WILL be embellished. :) They happened, but the souped up sitcom version of them in my head is definitely a better story.

Today on my lunch break I went to see Dr. Hockey. I was calm, cool and collected as usual. (relatively...you know) Besides the fact that I can't breathe out of one side of my nose and it makes me sound huskier than normal, I was feeling fine. When I got there, I got taken to the "B" room. You know- the one where they put the act that's opening for the main act. The one that doesn't have all the right stuff and paper towels are on the headrest- yeah... that one. The Asian Receptionist got me started on the stim machine. I got the party started by cracking a joke about having swine flu. Very predictable. He wanted to know if I had seen any good movies recently. For a moment I considered telling him that I had already seen the latest Zac Effron flick and I only go to the theatre for him. Instead I told him about Netflix-ing Selena. He couldn't remember anything about the movie except that J-Lo played the lead--- what is it with guys and J-Lo anyway? Then I asked him if he had seen any good movies. I was guessing he had one in mind he wanted to talk about. And he did. Star Trek! REWIND..... one more time...... Star Trek! The conversation ended with me making a joke about dressing up and being at the opening show- hopefully that was not seen as an invitation because I will not be there. So he left me to the stim machine... there was this music playing in the background that inspired me to look into ballerina school and I could hear that Blondie in the hall trying to act like she couldn't figure out her appt. for next week. "Oh Dr. Hockey- Help me... I am so dumb...Could you explain this calendar thingy to me?!" The music and the head cold won out though and in a moment, I was out! My own snoring woke me up about 8 minutes later. My face was hot and there was a curious drip...dripping on my hand. I realized it was FROM MY NOSE. Just call me Josie Gross-ie. Dr. Hockey came in just as I was using the paper towel to clean up my face. I actually had a ton of things I could've said to him: about Nova Scotia and the church getaway and the smell being gone in our apt (I will post more about this later). He was stressed though and not real talkative- he only asked an obligatory "How's it going?" and started cracking. Since the room didn't have the table that tilts he asked me to "follow him into the next room." Doesn't he know that I would follow him anywhere? :) The other room had a mirror in it and I could now see that I had a red ring on my face from being stuck in the hole of the table. Awesome! When I tried to tell him that I got information about Nova Scotia, my voice cracked and it sounded like I was drowning in phlegm. Probably too much information. He told me as I left that I should really go to Nova Scotia- I think that means he secretly wants to come with me. Maybe I'll bring along a netti pot though. Just in case.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Rach. Only you. Yah, I've totally done the snotty nosed trip to the chiro. And my chiro was super hot. The one I have in Missouri is super hot too...if you're a high school football player. LOL She's like a size zero...around thirty-ish. The best part...Barth Middleton referred me.

    ReplyDelete