Monday, April 13, 2009

Many Much Mornings and Bizarre Umbrellas

Today has been a strange one. I woke up at the equivalent to 2:40am Chicago time and have still not rested. This morning I got up at my house in Michigan- my Dad drove me to the airport (bless his heart).

We departed from FNT at 6:10am and arrived at ORD at 6:15am. (No typo folks... it's the time difference!) Security was pretty tight at the Flint Bishop International Airport this morning. 5:30am- Get patted down for wearing a sweatshirt. CHECK. There were two little boys on the plane- both with window seats who were so fun to watch. Twin 6ish year olds- they were pointing out everything to eachother and their parents. We touched down in Chicago before the sun had a chance to show off it's glory. Actually while the sun was dawning- I was in the tunnels of Chicago waiting for the Blue Line to get it together. There was a man who had fallen on the tracks being rescued. (He was OK, just drunk or exhausted- I couldn't tell which) They had shut down the line for safety and took a little bit to reboot. In the mean time, a man thought he would take the opportunity to "make water" inbetween the train cars. (Oh that he had been as discreet as my description!) Welcome back to Chicago Rach! I had missed it as much as it missed me- especially CTA. Later when I transferred to the bus I fell.... Not outside on the sidewalk running to catch the bus, OH NO! Much too conventional for me. I fell inside where everyone had a better view of the fact that I cannot balance a suitcase on a pair of flip-flops. I made it back to the apartment in just enough time to take a shower and get to work. OK, so I was 3 minutes late. Boss was undoubtedly happy to see that I had returned... also I think he was more amused with my morning antics than he let on about. :) That's what I'm telling myself anyway. By lunchtime I had been awake for nearly 10 hours and yet was still going strong. A bowl of oatmeal and I was headed back down the block to work. It been pretty overcast in Chicago today; dreary, cold, miserable. I saw this woman walking toward me under the shelter of a large umbrella. Each slat had a letter at the end of it- spelling something all the way around. (When I got closer, I realized that it was for PEN INSurance) but from far away the first 6 letters were a little "iffy." If you know what I mean. I'm so junior high, I know... but I couldn't help it!

Other things of significance from today:
1. As I spread my cream cheese on a bagel in Flint waiting for my flight to board, I was overcome with a desire to base an emergency escape plan on my plastic-ware knife just like MacGyver.
2. I saw a singing goat hand puppet today: "high on a hill was a lonely goat herder... yodela-hi yodela-hi, yodale-hi, hoo!"
3. There is a Snapple in one of the stalls on the third floor women's washroom of the building where I work. It has been there since before I went home for Easter last week (FYI: Blog about that to come-- with photos. Promise it's worth the wait!). The thing about the Snapple is that I swear there is some gone since last week. Hmmmm. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it? Hypothesis' welcome.

My frenzied amusement with life is crashing into anger right now... A good time to end this post I think. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................................

No comments:

Post a Comment