Wednesday, April 15, 2009

RUFFLES

Everywhere that Rachel went; her ruffles were sure to go!
(Not sure why but apparently I am all about putting myself in to nursery rhymes lately)

Ruffles went with me to chapel:
Today was a big day.......
It was at least for this little group of people invested in the Moody Bible Institute. The 9th president was announced. The big reveal - I've been referring to it as. It was not Dwight Edwards as I had so so so hoped. Alas, God had other plans... Dr. Paul Nyquist. I don't know him at all. I haven't met him. In fact, I couldn't even really see him that well because I was sitting in the very last row of the auditorium. He seemed to be genuinely humble. Totally appreciated the way he said he was going to spend the first few months as a learner and when it was over stood back with his family to take in the moment, not in the limelight to soak up the applause. And he made a joke about Ed Cannon's hair which was enough to win my affection! kinda pathetic, I know. :) hahahaha. He will be an aggressive learner though and I am so looking forward to his coming vision and leadership. And he likes people- which is HUGE. He remembered my boss' name which we were both very impressed with.

On a comedic note: There was regularly scheduled programming (chapel) right before the announcement. So the board and the trustees and the VP's and everybody came in right before the big reveal. As the suits were filing in; all I could think was "here comes the Fuzz." And then Jerry Jenkins got up there to make the announcement and it hit me: He totally looks like Diego from Ice Age!
Do you see it?

(Disclaimer: Maybe this is too corporate for the blog, but I just want to say that I totally respect and appreciate ALL that Jerry Jenkins does for this school. His support, faithfulness and leadership is outstanding. I just couldn't help but notice there was some similarities in his face structure... that's all!)

Ruffles went with me to Dr. Hockey:
Dr. Hockey was looking so fine today- he had the scruff going for him. I was also looking fine today. Confession: maybe I spent an extra 1/2 hour getting myself together this morning. I even wore tinted lip gloss instead of clear. Serious business here folks! He was totally distracted by this blondie that came in right before me though and I spent most of my time with Dr. Asian Receptionist. S-A-D! All I can think is that maybe he had a traumatic experience with ruffles as a child........maybe.

Ruffles went with me to Lush:
No, it's not "Old Country Buffet" for alcoholics. It's a homemade soap store. I bought a 3 step facial routine and got a free lotion. The girl who helped me was the most outstandingly cheerful person ever and well she ought to be because I was in the mood to let her sell me just about the whole store. So check out my face sometime- hopefully it will be radiant.

Ruffles went with me all over downtown:
When I got off the "el" I couldn't bring myself to go indoors- it was such a glorious day. The kind of day I wish I had a tent, a whole lot of days off and a car to get me to someplace ruggedly beautiful.... quick! I didn't have an agenda. Just walked around exploring, letting the red hand or the white man decide where I turned. On one of the red hands, some lights were burnt out and so it looked like it was flashing I love you in sign language. I ended up at Walgreens to buy some bleach for our smelly little apartment. Seriously, the stench is KILLING me. The land-lady came up today and I showed her the cabinet and the wood where the mysterious odor is coming from. She is sure that it is tuna or cat food. Hmmm. That's strange ----- we don't have either! Any suggestions? Miracle cleaning salves? An old Polish grandma who can figure it out?

Today a girl asked me about my thoughts on the future and feeling about the present. (i.e.- what are you doing with your life and are you good with that?) It was interesting to see how my response has changed from this anxious script of it "being a temporary job" and justifying it by saying how quickly I'm outta here. The Lord has been teaching me so much in this time of my life. I know that I would hate to miss out on that. I do still want to be involved with missions in the future (just FYI for those of you I fear are judging); however the Lord has been convicting me about my tainted motives. I'm a pretty black and white person- ok, I'm a TOTALLY black and white person. So it would be much easier for me to live either a totally lavish life or a totally desolate one. Living in moderation and having self-control balanced with generosity and trust in the Lord requires walking in the Spirit. That sounds noble, but it's hard for me. What does it look like to depend on the Lord when there is enough money in my bank account? How do you trust God to meet your needs when the fridg is full? Where is your reliance on the Lord when you are walking around in ruffles?

No comments:

Post a Comment