Saturday, February 7, 2009

Outsiders and Observations

Most of the time it is a bummer to be 'the outsider.' Like when everyone is laughing at a joke you don't get and you are not quick enough on your feet to pretend that you do get it... Bummer. Or when a bunch of your friends are riding in the car singing at the top of their lungs, but you don't know any of the words... Bummer. Or when your pastor is using this analogy from a really common movie that 'everyone' has seen, but you... Bummer. Tonight though I felt like an outsider in a totally different way and it was not a... Bummer.

I went to a worship night/concert of Christy Nockels (Formerly known as Watermark, but for logistical reasons of singing at women's events they changed the name and her husband is totally content with just being in the band and-------- she talked about this for far far FAR too long tonight... hahaha!) Amazing Grace was one of the last songs we sang- well everyone else sang. I was engaged with what was going on but instead of singing I was soaking up a room full of students and friends with hands raised in worship proclaiming "My chains are gone, I've been set free; My God, My Savior has ransomed me..." I got lost in the beauty of it all- thinking of my own story of being set free from sins chains and wondering how amazing it would be to know the stories of those all around the room. I was picturing the broken chains in a heap on the floor and all of us standing on top of them. Something meant to be so strong- rendered absolutely powerless. I love that! Even though I am not a student at Moody anymore, I am still there everyday and have an avid interest in life there. It excites me to see students with abandon for Christ and beyond that- members of the body of Christ with abandon. In that moment of worship with arms raised there is no complaining about piles of homework or ungrateful cynicism being hurled around.... all of that is stripped away and we look like we ought to.... humble servants, overwhelmed with truth of grace, desperately seeking to in some (seemingly inconsequential way) show our profound gratitude to the One Who paid it all. So I loved watching that tonight as an "outsider"- outside of myself and that moment only, it caused me to sing - "Oh Praise the One Who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead!"
This is the church... this is the body of Christ...

Strange things seen and heard on the streets of Chicago lately:
* If anyone knows a Dorothy missing a personalized Christmas ornament... let her know it was seen at Chicago and LaSalle after the snow melted. Poor Dorothy- she never did get to enjoy her season's greetings!
* On my way to work I saw a pair of women's dress pants on the sidewalk.... some poor commuter was going to be surprised when she got to work. They weren't my size... I checked. hahhaa. just kidding!
* A grandmother was very concerned that her grandchildren were allowed to eat noodles and mashed potatoes in the same meal... O mercy!
* If anyone is following this mystery- Michael's has reopened- their revocation was revoked apparently! hmmmmmmmm.
* Two guys in their late twenties, early thirties were discussing the merit of South Park and Family Guy based on the fact that the shows frequently quote from Shakespeare. And I wonder why I can't find a man out there!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the strange things you've heard and seen around Chicago lately. Please, oh please don't forget to mention the lady cross country skiing downtown in the midst of a snowstorm. (MUSH!!) My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Watermark before I had my miscarriage. I was online reading forums and trying to find comfort - from all the wrong sources. But I did stumble upon the song Glory Baby by Watermark. God really used that song to speak to me. He also showed me some very great Comfort during that time. I occasionally play that song as a reminder that "God works His purposes just like He said He would".

    ReplyDelete