Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened On My Way Back From Solheim....

So today I had this important meeting on Crowell 9. (If you're not from Moody, that's the president's floor). Since the meeting was at 12N. and I was supposed to be swimming with my friend Amy at 11am, I (probably redundantly) told her that I needed to be back- RIGHT AT 12!

Well, I had some troubles with that. My hairdryer broke- overheated and decided that it was done for the day so my hair was a bit wet. I tried to put eye make-up on with my face while it was damp and it stuck together in the creases of my eyelid. (Note to self: NEVER use the word "creases" again.... ick!) I dropped lotion on my shirt making a kind of spot that would not be removed, but at least I sparkled and smelled like a 'supermodel'. I was wearing my ID when I left the Solheim Center, but it was between 2 layers of shirt so I almost got busted for not displaying it in "the zone." Then as I was crossing the street I rolled my left ankle; writhing in pain I pulled my face from the pavement while 3 people passed me avoiding eye contact. awesome! I limped all the way back to campus. On the way to my office at approximately 11:53am I grabbed a chicken salad sandwich, chips and a bottle of water. I stop at my office and pick up the folder with the handouts for the meeting and run a brush through my wet hair.

11:59am I am waiting for the elevator with 5-6 other people going to the meeting.... that turned into 6-8 plus a man with a heart condition who needed to alleviate his guilty conscience by explaining to us that is why he wasn't taking the stairs to floor 3. We all crammed onto the elevator since the other one was broke and rode up.... 3 ding! (man with big heart exists, awkward joke about claustrophobia) 4 ding! (quote from Elf....) 5,6,7,8,9.... I am the first one off the elevator and have no idea which way to go because have never been up to the 9th floor conference room. I "graciously" let someone else walk in front of me. Following them pretty closely- bag of chips, chicken salad sandwich, bottle of water, and file full of papers all in hand.

I walk in to the most incredible conference room I have ever seen and see Boss sitting at the head of the table and a bunch of others scattered throughout. Instantly I am in dilemma.... where do sit? Do I belong at the head of this massively important table? But, my other option would be to sit next to.......hahahha! My bag of chips feels like millstone around my wrist and I am considering dropping off the papers and running back to my humble office with the ugliest fake floral arrangement you can imagine. Boss motions for me to sit next to him... sigh of relief. I limp to the chair. Everyone has these leather chairs on wheels and I am so excited to sit in one. Maybe Dr. Easley sat in mine! (hahahahahaha) I sit down and the chair leans back so far I lose my balance and nearly fall on the floor. Oopsies! Poor Boss. You can take a girl out of the country....

After that the meeting went fine.... it was just getting there that was the problem you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment