Monday, February 23, 2009

Eve of something GREAT

Today I think I almost got arrested.... well, I made up in my head that I almost got arrested anyway. I was at Barnes & Noble picking out a new journal- this was my third trip to a journal selling store, but I had not seen anything that I liked enough to buy. People underestimate what a big undertaking it is to choose a new journal. You have to choose a journal that will see you through whatever uncertain joys or pains lie ahead the next few months. A journal that you will not grow tired of pulling out of your bag at a moments notice. A journal that looks enough like you to be familiar. A journal that looks enough unlike you to leave room for growth. That may seem like a whole lot of over thought about a bunch of pieces of paper bound together but I hope that you are at least picking up on the immensity of this decision now. The store clerks kept walking past me and saying things I couldn't quite understand- like code and stuff. I was sure that they were observing my behavior in the journal aisle and putting the word out to keep an eye on me. See I have this method of picking out a journal- you put all the ones you like on a shelf and then start evaluating them: lines vs. no lines, hardcover vs. softcover, pretty design vs. funny design, leather vs. material, etc. It's kind of like a journal beauty pageant... you keep eliminating ones until you are left with THE "Miss America" journal. Well, I was stuck on the last two- red softcover or multi-color hard cover..... both had lines.... both were in the same price range... both would be able to endure the next few month of abuse in my purse... but I could only choose one! Grrrrrr. I chose the multi-color one and then breezed around the store a few more times- wouldn't want to pay for the journal only to change my mind. Admitedly, the whole time I was thinking in my head how that made me look even more suspicious and delighting in what a dangerous life I was living. hahahaha. I KNOW! hahahahhaa. Well, I bought the journal and as I walked out heard one clerk tell the other how they had discovered the missing bathroom key.... so maybe they didn't have the police on speed dial for me after all.
From Barnes & Noble I headed to Jewel to pick up a few choice items.... score! BOGO Bacon- "Can life get better? I submit that it cannot!" OK...so there were a few impulse buys- what can I say? :) When I checked out I had a twenty, a one and a little bit of change left over from the journal purchase. I was watching the total add up and was thinking that I wasn't gonna have enough cash... but the bacon....! The total came to $21.52. I was incredulous... I was going to have to charge 52 cents- really?! I reached into my pocket to count the change I had- would you believe I had EXACTLY 52 cents!!!?!!! I have never been more satisfied with a purchse in my life. unexpected exact change. This further convinced me that I had made the right choice in regards to the journal.... a couple pennies difference and the story would not be nearly as epic. (As epic as a story about journals and BOGO bacon can be I guess) A couple pennies difference and I would not have this crazy sense of excitement for all the stuff that will fill this cheery little journal.

Also, the title has nothing to do with the fact that it is in fact the eve of paczki day... ;) I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!! (even though I have to leave here at 6am. boo!)

1 comment: