Sunday, September 27, 2009

Talking to Boys

Do you ever do something embarrassing enough to block it out of your memory for most of the day and then as you lay in bed that night feel compelled to get up and blog about it since your roommate is sleeping and it is making you seriously laugh out loud? Right now I am experiencing that phenom.

If you know me at all, you would agree that I have trouble with peer relationships- it takes me some time to ease into them. I do not do well with small talk so I have a rough time just mingling with people I have met for the first time. (NOTE: mingling is much different than schmoozing- I am very good at schmoozing.) Add to that personality disorder, my complete lack of filter and nervousness around men (particularly "chunky peanut butter" kind of men-those who are bearded, bald, sweaty) and you have yourself a recipe for disaster. O the disaster that is my life sometimes! :)

Last night at the GRIP retreat (which I will blog about in coming days as I process it- in summary though, AMAZING!) I played a game of Apples to Apples with people I didn't know or didn't know real well. Congratulations on being outside of your comfort zone Rach! Besides the time I randomly asked a man if we had the same phone then said nothing else the rest of the game to him, I did pretty well. A fun time was had by all and I ended up winning the game.

This morning at breakfast I sat next to the cell phone twin man. He very kindly started a conversation by offering kudos for winning the game last night. Suddenly I morphed into Steve Urkel and responded, "Thanks. Yeah, it was pretty amazing. I went back up to the room and made myself a crown last night!"
AND YOU'RE DONE!


Two crucial questions spring to mind:
1. What was the crown made out of?
and
2. REALLY?!?!?!?


I may have also drawn attention to the impressive amount of crumbs and poppy seeds all over the table surrounding my plate and forgot to say "thank you" when passed the cream cheese. awesome. Needless to say, the man found new friends by lunch.



*** Songs that could play here: "You ain't seen nothing yet... ba.ba.baby!"; "I'm a hazard to myself!" ; "Maps- they don't love you like I love you"***

No comments:

Post a Comment