Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Gospel Truth

Last night was training for the SLAM program I am volunteering with on Monday nights throughout the school year. It is an awesome program and thankful that friends introduced me to the ministry. As the trainers were talking about discipline and why they set up the rules they do, I saw a glimpse into some bigger context for where these kids are coming from. So many stories they shared were similar to experiences I have had with "our kids" who have been coming over all summer and into the Fall. It was exciting in some ways for me to know that this guarded nature is typical and found myself overwhelmed once again at the privilege it is to be a part of their lives, to be a voice to their hearts.A few days ago, Heather, D'Shawn, Vincent and Enosha came over. Vincent came running into the house and gave me a big hug and said "Rachel I missed you!" At the time I was like, "Missed you too buddy!" and kinda kept right on hanging out. Laying in bed that night, reviewing my day though I remembered the exchange and had this sudden realization of just how special that is. He trusts me and knows that I love him. Seriously, these kids are a gift and I pray that they realize the Lord loves them even more than I do... which is ALOT!

One of the GRIP Volunteers gave a testimony about some kids that he mentored who eventually came to Christ. It was not an easy abbreviated experience. It was a sacrifice and required His constant dependence on the Spirit, but it was so sweet to hear that these young men had tasted eternal life! Sitting behind a desk all day worrying about problems like bed bugs and roommate fights, I guess I kinda forgot how electrifying the POWER of God unto Salvation is! This is the really real, folks!

Kaitlyn and I somehow started talking about Calvinism and Arminianism at the end of the night. We talked about what each school of thought believed and why and some of what we believed. It at no point was a heated debate, but it did bring back flashbacks of Moody and how sometimes those discussions were not very productive. It reminded me that we can "know it all" and yet if it doesn't make us more like Jesus than WHAT IS THE POINT?

People should know God's love and hear God's truth because it's for real! Why would you settle for being a clanging cymbal when there is so much more to the Gospel? Being right is not enough to change lives, to give joy, to bring freedom... Only Jesus can do that! I'm so thankful He did that for me....

No comments:

Post a Comment