Tuesday, October 19, 2010

For the love of the weekend...and men


Last weekend rocked my face off… no seriously, there were so many favorite things packed into one weekend that my little heart could hardly contain it all:
Fall colors and a walk through the park – check!
Derek & Sandra concert – check!
A drive to Naperville at sunset – check!
Girls running club – check!
The marathon – check!
Spending time with so many good friends – check!
Tastee Freeze – check!
The Amazing Race – check!
Andrew Peterson concert – check!
Tag team story telling – check!
Praise and worship with the church – check!
Deep sleep – check!
My heart may burst just from reading this list back!

Saturday night’s Andrew Peterson concert was such a gift. Andy Gullahorn and Ben Shive came too and all three were wearing plaid. 
3rd row seats courtesy of the most generous Dave & Joscey!
 I don’t know these men personally, but there is something so rare about them that comes through in their music.  Their love of the Gospel, of Jesus is so apparent and I find myself thirsty to know the Word more. Their humor and honesty about themselves leaves you with no doubts that they are regular guys- though more poetic than most.

Oh dear- I feel like this is turning into a fan post and that’s not really what I want it to be at all.

The media and the world is so quick to exalt and measure men by their harshness of power;  and I just appreciate that these guys manage to avoid the trappings of that mentality and focus on the cross instead. Don’t get me wrong, I love a strong man as much as the next gal, but I think there is something skewed about the expectations men feel; whether it’s from women or the church or the world or even themselves. I couldn’t really explain to you why men are always such a passion subject for me. For what it’s worth though: I really want to see men have the freedom to glory in their Redeemer; to serve and speak and love and lead from that place.

In every ministry I have been a part of, in every brokenness I have experienced or witnessed, there is a unique role in healing that only men can play.  Sadly, too often men of God are absent from this process. I’m not sure why that is… Men, don’t you know how vital you are?  Have you never considered how cool you are? You hiking, biking, money making, bicep curling men out there? (lest this list exclude you, please insert your –ing activity of choice)Seriously, the church needs you, the family needs you, the Westside of Chicago needs you, the world needs you! Please don’t hide. We think you are really great. REALLY GREAT!

I’m pretty sure only women read my blog, so this is not a very effective medium for my gushing. Maybe I should go climb a mountain and shout this…or the rooftop perhaps? :) [insert Fiddler on the Roof song here!]

No comments:

Post a Comment