Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Aragorn Strumming on the Old Banjo

When I started the last post I had no intention of writing about men. Not sure how that happened...(wah!wah! Bring on all your witty reasons.)

What I meant to write about the concert, was that Andrew Peterson was talking about hope and despair. He was describing a scene from Lord of the Rings (forgive me for not remembering exactly which one… they are ALL so epic). Long story short: someone almost gave up but then didn’t because something/someone intervened and then everyone was victorious.

Andrew pointed out that to despair is to assume that we know the end of our story, but we really don't. At any moment something could happen or someone could show up and it could totally change the course of things. And so despite the dire circumstances or the darkness or the hurt, there is ALWAYS cause to hope.I know the details are a little hazy, but the point stands out in my mind. 

I was reading through some old journals a few weeks ago and was struck with how many times I said the same old things.... every time thinking they were original or groundbreaking. Oh well- at least I am consistent. :) I wished somehow that from my current place in life could have spoken to the Rachel who penned some of those hopeless words; wished in those moments of despair and loneliness I could have told her what hope and light was coming round the mountain (with Dinah...haha).

Also, quote from my journal Summer 2008 after seeing Lord of the Rings for the first time: "How did I ever live without this epic narrative in my life?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment