Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hip Hop Happy

Before starting this, I would like to take a minute to clarify that this post is written because of my love for the church and the diversity of the body of Christ. It is written in celebration of truth being communicated in many different ways so that we can all get it, hear it, live it. I'm not black, I cannot dance and I don't know much about hip hop; so in some ways I feel unqualified to write this. If I say something in this post that sounds insensitive to those who are black or do know how to dance or do know alot about hip hop; I would like to apologize for my ignorance and ask that you help me. Your feedback is welcomed.

I own one LaCrae CD- the one he sold me when he rapped at our church a few years ago. I like it- know most all the words- get in the mood to listen to it sometimes. That's about where my knowledge of hip hop ends. Last night there was a concert with LaCrae and Flame and Trip Lee. Admittedly, I went because I think those guys are cool; not because I knew all their songs and wanted to throw them up to the Lord together, definitely not because I wanted to mosh in the crowd that gathered in the front of Torrey-Grey. As I stood in the back of the auditorium watching the concert I felt a rush of emotions that was more than the result of a good beat.

The content of their music is truly impressive. It is the Word of God and how it applies to every day. It doesn't dress up the Christian life into some kind of water park lazy river but instead affirms that the white water rapids category 3 trip is worth it because of Who Jesus is.

The music itself has such a consistent cadence about it. You hear these loaded verses and then a chorus that simply sums it all up. The choruses are usually what gets stuck in my head, playing on a loop. The repetition of it helps to cement the truth until it becomes a kind of mantra. I need that so much sometimes... a mantra of truth to replace old thinking patterns. The words in these songs (communicated in such an easy to pick up way) are such a powerful discipleship tool that comes alongside what the church is already telling so many of their young people. How great is it that we were all walking out singing about not wanting to "waste our life, life life"... that so many people were reaffirming their commitment to evangelism shouting "go hard"... that some were offering their lives to Christ's service proclaiming "send me, I'll go." I don't know about you, but those are the kind of phrases I need to get stuck in my head more often.

Another thing that I love about hip hop music is how it moves you. It does motivate to action, but it's also real hard to not bob your head or bounce your shoulders when listening to it. Flashbacks from Bhangra class remind me that even though you are feeling the beat, it DOES NOT mean that your body is cooperating. I felt a little jealous last night that me trying to "get loose" would only look like the funniest youtube video today. Maybe I'm just not brave enough, but when I got home I let it go. :) I loved watching the crowd and even the guys on stage move as one- shoulders back, hands in the air. It seemed that somehow in their bodies moving together an important redefining work was happening. The "norm" that may usually be stuff that not so great was being transformed into something really good. Sending a message that following Jesus may mean that you are alienated from some, but you are not left without a group. To see these believers come together made me want to cheer.

It made me think about the kids who have been coming over here. They run together like a family and if one of them got serious about the Lord, who would be there for them? Who would be their family? Would the church step up? I think that's what made me so emotional yesterday when I saw the boys hanging out with the older guys. It wasn't that they saw a man that loved the Lord only, but that they saw a group of guys who are cool, getting each others back and loving Jesus together. That is a powerful message! Yeah for the church!

Sometimes I have no idea what words mean in hip hop music though. For example, could someone tell me what it means to "get krunk!"? Or how about "thizzard", "on chrome"? I do know what "hit a lick" means now thanks to the kids, but that was the other strong emotion last night provoked. I don't necessarily need to know what those words mean, since I don't talk like that. Unlike dancing, I never have a desire to use the vocab in the rap songs. However, I was really excited last night that people who did know what that meant were hearing truth in their "own language" so to speak. Maybe it's my interest in missions and contextualization of the Gospel, but from the style to the wording- the songs LaCrae and others are putting out communicate the truth to their audience without them needing to translate it. I think that's so incredibly beautiful and I long to see that happen in other people groups around the world and styles around the country and specific neighborhood cultures around this city! LaCrae, the 116 Clique, etc do this so well and I was praising God for giving us each a different story, vocabulary, race, culture and still be able to come together IN HIS NAME, FOR HIS GLORY. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment