Friday, March 6, 2009

The Heart of Iowa

This afternoon I am flying to Des Moines, Iowa to visit my old pal Abbey! Let me tell you about this woman... she is amazing. Abbey was my RS at Moody (Basically when I was an RA she was my supervisor). We met together every other week to check in about stuff on 7N, but during those times Abbey really discipled me too. One phrase I can remember her often saying was: "Rachel you can visit here, but don't move in." Maybe it sounds cheesy when you first hear it, but it really sums up the way Abbey lives. She has had her peaks and valleys like anyone, but she is always moving forward, closer to the heart of God. As I was reflecting on "hard things" yesterday I realized how much she taught me on that. I respect the way she tackles hard things with honesty and kindness and patience.

Abbey let me live with her for a month when I came back to Chicago this summer. (If you don't know this already, I was a nomad around Chicago this summer to the great chagrin of my mother.) How thankful I was for a place to live and a friend to share it with... even though I made it smell like Italian sausage! :) Sorry Abs! This is a poor analogy because all my worldly possessions were there, but just go with me out on this limb........It was great to visit (an extended one to be sure), but when I moved in to my apartment- that was such a sense of relief!

I was thinking about "moving in" and what a secure feeling that gives you- Moving in to a house or a job or a relationship or a role, etc. Maybe it's overwhelming and scary at times, but it's the best of those emotions. I have a hard time moving anywhere but in though. My best attempts to permanently reside anywhere seem to be constantly being undone. This morning I was reminded of that because I was frustrated about a lack of that secure feeling and LONGING for it.

I think the Lord has a hand in that- for our good. This world has some great stuff- don't get me wrong- it is totally worth enjoying, but at some point it always comes to an end. Massages, Money, Sex, Sleep, Power, Food...... Even the seasons change reminding us (no matter which we like the best) that it does not last forever.Think how glorious it will be to move in to Heaven- permanently! To be at complete rest and never have to leave.......... Wow! I can't wait for that moving day....... To see Jesus face to face; to be surrounded by His glory; to experience pleasures at His right hand FOREVERMORE.

Come Lord Jesus.... Come!

No comments:

Post a Comment