Tuesday, March 10, 2009

BKSHUT

I thought that was so funny -BKSHUT was my reservation code for the flight from Chicago to Des Moines and back. It reminded me of every Hebrew class with Dr. Sigler- remembering the words that sounded like other (questionable) ones best.

Flying is so fun! I forgot how much I loved it. My favorite moment is the one just as the wheels leave the ground or right before they set down...... the plane is just hovering there and everyone is (some anxiously) waiting for the wheels to make contact with the strip. It's such a moment of celebration--- WE'RE HERE! On the way to Des Moines it was clear and I had a window seat. I noticed that Iowa has alot of rivers and that too many people like to drink tomato juice at 30,000 feet. Seriously, what a bizarre drink of choice on an hour flight.

I loved being at the O'Hare airport for a couple of hours- the people watching opportunities are ENDLESS! It was a warm day so all the old-ish men pulled out their kahki shorts and hawaiian button up's and the loafers....... never forget the loafers! It was priceless. I also bought a compilation of Nathaniel Hawthorne's short stories. He is such a complex writer- even at the end of the story, you sometimes don't know whether the character is for real or dreaming. As black and white as I am; I do like being teased with the meaning of it all- and trying to come to the "right" conclusion even if I am not sure. It's fun mental exercise. It was a little strange to be in the airport though- the last time I was there I was returning from India. (And saw Mike Ditka... hm. I forgot about that) I ate at the same restaurant as then because... let's face it- I am hopelessly flawed in my love of memories. Eating alone on Friday made me think of Jonathan and our time in India. It was such a hard time for me, but beautiful none the less.

Abbey and I spent alot of time in our PJ's talking and eating guacamole. Abbey is the best guacamole maker ever... I had missed her guac! Saturday morning we slept in and then sat on the couch drinking tea/coffee while catching up. After awhile Abbey asked what time I thought it was- 11:30am I guessed. It was definitely 1PM! :) I have very rarely lost track of time like that- what a gift though to enjoy time together and get eachother in conversation! It was also great to see Luci too (Brandon and Abbey's dog) - we're buddies. Saturday night Brandon had to preach at church. He found out about it last minute and spent alot of the weekend preparing for it. The church is Lutheran and one of the things I LOVED was the time of corporate confession. Even if you don't mean all the words when you say it- to have your brain trained that as a body we are responsible as well as individuals is GREAT! Brandon writes the confessions each week and this one was so focused on LIFE. Really convicted me on the things I choose to sustain me- are they truly LIFE giving? We have total access to life in Christ- and yet we too often choose other things instead. That deserves to be confessed. I was a Lutheran sacraments FAIL! I was in the front row and supposed to be leading the line- Abbey explained it to me beforehand, but I got a little turned around. Abbey had to whisper "Rach!" to get me back on course. I don't think anyone really noticed but it was hysterically predictable on my part.

Abbey and I watched Run Fatboy Run. I had been wanting to see it for a long time, but the mixed reviews I got from friends kinda prolonged the actual renting of it. Simon Pegg is incredible (if you have not seen HOT FUZZ you cannot be my friend! hahahaha)- and while this one was funny- it was also heartwarming so that was a bonus. Abbey and I also watched the Christian classic "Saving Sara Cain." It really has everything you could be looking for: a strong female lead who has lost her way, a relentlessly loving boyfriend and a few Amish kids!

Daylight Savings Time was this weekend. That was difficult for us.... we bought movie tickets at 2:30pm for the 1:55pm show. To this moment we are unsure why the girl behind the counter sold us those tickets........ Maybe she knows alot of people who only like to watch the second 1/2 of movies! We got the time right by Sunday night because the Amazing Race was on. It was like old times watching it with Ab. My team had a rough week to say the least... maybe daylight savings time messed with them too! :)

Confession: Dr. Hockey gave me stretches I was supposed to be doing all weekend, but I didn't do them. (Brian Regan Flashback: "Had 9 months to work on it... Did nothing!") Maybe I could bribe him with a hockey card???

The flight back took off about 7:30am and it was overcast. As we climbed through the blanket of clouds, the sunrise suddenly BURST through! It was glorious...Seemed like a sermon illustration to me about how the weather looks cloudy to us, but we cannot see it all... cannot see higher to behold the true gloriousness. I don't know if that makes you roll your eyes or not, but it was encouraging to see that sun and behold the splendor of it unexpectedly. And to think that the sunrise is only a work of God's hand.... to behold Him....... must be truly incredible!

The only tragedy about this weekend is that I forgot to take any pictures..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment