Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tiggy and the Smokey Mountains

One of my absolute favorite children's books is about Tiggy and the Big Wave. It was an audio book that my Mom and I used to listen to over and over and over again. Sadly I could not find it anywhere on the internet to post a picture-- anyone know this book or where I could find it?? I think might have been a whole series of Tiggy books actually. In every book little Tiggy was afraid and then she would do something brave things anyway. I really resonated with Tiggy when I was a kid... and I guess I still do now because I thought about her alot when I was in TN last week.

Last Tuesday at about the same time I was writing the Angry Eyebrows post, feeling totally overwhelmed with the annoying and conflicting emotions raging inside me. Leaving for TN felt heavy and if it hadn't been for such a spectacular cast of girls going, I probably would have backed out. I'm so glad I didn't though!

It was my first time to see the mountains. They are incredible! It doesn't matter how many words I could use or pictures I could take... it doesn't even do them justice. The thing I liked the most about them is how big they are and how small they made me feel. That probably sounds strange but I think the reason I was so angry was because I was thinking of myself as so big and responsible and trying to carry a weight far beyond my strength all the while growing resentful that it wasn't lighter. Standing in the midst of those mountains made me realize how truly small I am- Tiggy size small. I felt the straps of those weights and burdens and fears and jealousy snap as I the Lord reminded me that He was strong enough to carry all these and me too. What a comfort it is to feel small in the arms of someone strong and even better; in the arms of someone who is strong and good. I am so thankful that even the earth shows us the glory of our Creator. A glimpse of how big He is was just what I needed. Isn't it crazy that for so many years before people explored America these mountains were just sitting here? God made them because He could, because it brought Him glory. What a truly genius God we serve.

It was so interesting to me that in a place where there was so much natural beauty there was also so much noise. All along the strip in Pigeon Forge there were "Attractions." Go Karts and Putt Putt and Laser Tag and Dinner Shows and Dollywood and Seen on TV stores and Pancake Houses all with blinking lights and fluorescent signs. As if the mountains were not enough to attract people!

One day we hiked up Cade's Cove to a waterfall. I have never felt cooler in my life. :) NERD ALERT, I know! It was so fun to hike and sit by the waterfall and even take a (very chilly) dip in the water. We didn't see any bears, but there were warnings bout them being active on that particular trail. Another day we spent in Gatlinberg and took a ski lift up the mountain to an observation point. Usually I am super afraid of heights, but I loved my feet dangling over the trees (and I held on real tight). We cooked most of our food on the Coleman stove- except for the occasional trip to Chick-Fil-A or a gas station hot dog of course. Sarah made fires for us to roast marshmallows most nights. I love smelling like campfire. I haven't washed my sweatshirt yet because I just can't part with that smell. We read story books and took a ton of pictures too. Hannah and Sarah are great at the camera- they were trying all sorts of crazy fun stuff with sparklers and shutter speeds. The pictures are on Facebook if you wanna check them out.

One night as we were reading our bedtime story Sarah spotted a spider on the wall. Someone warned me to turn the fan off before I tried to smack it with a book, and I thought I did turn it off. Moments later as I tried the get the spider the fan blades made a eerie noise and the light flashed. Oops! From that point on our cabin light would only work some of the time-- like when the sliding door would slam. Then it kinda gave up and wouldn't come on at all. Better that way though- you can't be afraid of bugs you can't see.

The day before we left we played mini golf and maybe went shopping at the outlet mall too. maybe. hahahha. The course that had a mini-Taj Mahal... a bright pink one. Finally, pictures of me at the Taj! The shopping trip was priceless- there were a couple women in the dressing room that were very interested in what I was trying on. They were so cute and really flattering. I wish those ladies could come with me everywhere! It was so fun though to buy clothes a size smaller and to make a gutsy purchase at only 5% sales tax. Alli and the other girls persuaded me to buy this pink dress. It is so cute and I do really like it, but not the sort of thing I would ever believe I could "pull off" without good friends chanting approval. When I wear it out I'll try to remember to post a picture. :) It's pretty "cajun."

We had a good trip home- ran into some traffic, but we made the best of it. Singing Mariah, dancing to Beyonce, giggling at truckers, etc. Glad to be home and back with Kaits. But I do miss the mountains....

1 comment:

  1. Awww Tiggy...one of the stories with her used to scare me! haha. Curious about this "cajun" dress...

    ReplyDelete