Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' on the River

Today started off later than normal, but too early for a Saturday.
I spent the first part of the morning picking rocks and gum out of guys shoes for the Miracle League Tournament put on by GRIP. There were some new volunteers who were super nice. I respected the fact that they came from a local church and were trying to contribute within the community. I did feel conflicted though- as I was blinded by their diamond rings and could not keep up with their discussion of fashion and concerts and the like. They were not overdone, but it was just painfully obvious that their lives were much more glamorous than mine and it made me feel small. I still feel conflicted, but it does serve as a reminder to be careful how others perceive my appearance and not just be content with good intentions.

In the afternoon, Donald and I went out to WHEAT-IN to visit Andrew. Donald borrowed his roommate's van which was impressively clean for a man's vehicle. We went to Sweet Tomatoes... mmmm. Such a delicious place! Also, we went to see the proposal. It was much different this 2nd time watching it in between two men rather than a row full of cackling girls. Let me just say that the part where she dances around the fire is much funnier with boys. :)
On the way home, Donald tried in vain to find a gas station with a slurpee machine. We could have used some beverage too since we worked up quite a thirst singing the whole way. Proud Mary.... a definite crowd pleaser. To quote my favorite Helen 'Keller' movie, "But Sister, anyone could get proud Mary and hail Mary confused..."

Later in the day, I passed a billboard advertising a late night talk show with a woman who boasted having 'the sharpest tongue.' My first reaction was sarcastic disbelief... "Oh, yeah huh...? bring it!" But then it grew into a weird sense of sad conviction. Something about this woman's picture disgusted me. And simultaneously I identified with it. I identified with it because I can be pretty sassy and at times sharp. There are times, (especially with men) where I feel that it's necessary to prove that I can "hold my own"; "take care of myself"; "give it back"; etc. To some extent- that's good. I am glad that I can be independent and not rely on a man to give me all my opinions HOWEVER I never want to be that repulsive image on the billboard. The image that is too tough to be loved, to listen, to see the best in people, to support, to be hospitable, to be unselfish. Donald is such a gentleman and today it was super nice to feel like I could let my guard down, with nothing to prove and just be this idyllic "girl". Insert LaCrae song Identity here: Hair, check, shoes, check...CHECK. Hair and nails done, sparkle lotion on, slurpee seeking, riding in the passenger seat, singing Proud Mary and laughing my guts out. Instead of resenting his consideration for me, I relished it. I am really thankful to be a girl and am thankful when men affirm my role rather than expect me to compete with them. Good job Donald- you're my hero. ;)

Tonight I went to Navy Pier and watched the fireworks... I love fireworks! Especially the ones that look like sparkly weeping willow trees. There were so many people with their phones out, texting during the show. It seemed strange to me that such beauty could be just background noise for them. What could possibly be so much more attention grabbing? I know it's not a moral thing - fireworks are man made, but it just said alot that our culture was so easily bored. Sad. On the walk I saw a few things I want to go back and visit. Who knew there were so many art galleries down Illinois on the way to the Pier? There was a picture in one of the windows that was the mountains on a canvas and then a shelf with a truck on it. It was so small in comparison to those mountains and it gave you this sense of the epic in the everyday. Such a neat perspective to see the whole picture rather than just what we would see from the truck. Another was acrylic paint on a metal background. Such a cool look- to see the metal reflecting the light amidst the paint. Also, there is a beautiful restaurant that looks super expensive, but someday I'd like to visit: http://www.citechicago.com/ Cool right?

No comments:

Post a Comment