Saturday, June 13, 2009

Thinking Outside the Bun

Well, after such a chill morning I decided I should venture out past the 7-11. :)

The Art Show
- http://www.chicagoevents.com/event.cfm?eid=141
There was an art festival that admittedly I think I snuck into- it was one where they ask for a "donation." It started at Division and went to North (about 1/2 mile for those of you who are not from round there parts). I love art and saw a few really great booths to be sure, but I went there in hopes that Smadar Livine would be there. She is my fave of all faves in the art world. She uses mixed media and acrylics to created some the the most colorful, vibrant, lively, detailed, unique work I have ever seen. Check out her website: www.smadarlivne.com As incredible as it may look online, I can attest that it is nothing like seeing it in person. There is a life and a joy that seems to overtake you the more you look at them. I've never quite felt this way about any art before. I stood in that booth for over an hour. A woman asked me if I worked there because I hung around so long. I just couldn't leave!!! About a year ago I wrote Ms. Livine asking about prices- little did I know how expensive good art is. Now I do. :) My hope was to just buy a print someday, but after standing there with a print in hand and an original hanging on the booth wall... I know that I can never settle for a print. A glicee I could do- I learned that this a print on canvas with some hand details. So, I will save and save until I get a Smadar Livine and maybe I will take it on a trip with me to Nova Scotia. :) It's that level of love... serious, I know!

The Walk
Wanting some exercise but not having anywhere necessarily to go... I started walking to Taco Bell. hahahaha. You know... the one that is 3.4 miles away. Oh my word! I did it though-there and back. It was actually really fun to see so many interesting shops along the way that I never have paid attention to before on the bus or in a car. Good exercise and a great dinner. Chili Cheese Burrito! Ole'!

Just Sayin'
(1.) Earlier on my fave TV channel- NBC Universal Sports I caught a few minutes of biking. Did you realize that people buy advertising on the cyclists butts.....? That contract must be ridiculous!

(2.) In the midst of the art festival there were a bunch of beer booths. At one point I was completely gridlocked with a bunch of art loving young professionals in "going out tops" beer in hand. Probably one of the worst experiences of my life. The guy to my left going the opposite direction announced that it would be kinda nice to be bumping into so many people if they weren't all "fat women." I looked around at women bumping into him- they were all fabulous. Summer dresses, tanned skin, perfume and painted fingernails. Another time in my life and I would have had an emotional melt down thinking "If those are fat women... what must he think of me?" Not today though. Today I suddenly had high blood pressure thinking "Wow! Excuse me-man in the 'Kiss Me I'm Irish' t-shirt with pits as stained as your teeth- you're a fake. I promise you that none of these women would be bumping up against you.... unless they were trying to get to the man in the cargo shorts with a kind smile behind you."

No comments:

Post a Comment