Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thank you Mom!

Confession: I love to play ROCKBAND. Not for the high-tech interactive guitar or drums.... oh no, I just love that microphone. I'm a singer- not a good singer, but a singer none the less. If you're ever played ROCKBAND yourself, you may remember the song "I think I'm paranoid" That is today's theme song!

Kaits and I spent the whole day together- rare that we are both in town at the apartment on the same weekend. It was super fun! We kicked the day off with a hearty breakfast from Yolk; a new place that opened not too far from us. I had a waffle with BACON in it. Why have I never thought of this before- BRILLIANT! After breakfast and alot of indecision about our wardrobe selections, we headed to Oak Street beach. Can I just tell you that this took alot of bravery for me? It did. As soon as we could see the beach I scanned the crowd-- It is exactly what I imagine purgatory would be like! Every girl in a bikini, every old man with a cooler, every young sporty man with no hair on his chest, everyone not wearing a skort over their swimsuit for modesty seemed to be screaming "You don't belong here!" Despite the less than warm welcome Kaits and I made ourselves comfortable in the sand between a fake palm tree and the garbage cans. mmmm. good times. :) It was super relaxing reading and hoping to kick the summer off well with a tan. Even though it was incredibly hot, we couldn't cool off in the water. Apparently the heavy rains caused some sort of E.coli in the lake- rendering it "unswimmable" for a few days. A few chapters and 2 hours later we packed up to go home.

I was so cocky- getting excited about the sunburn I must have gotten that would fade to a real nice tan. I had rejected Kaitlyn's offers (yes, multiple offers) of sunscreen and now the damage was being revealed. A picture is really the only thing that could do this sunburn justice, but it's hard to really capture the brevity of the situation discreetly so here's PLAN B:
Yes, my back shares an uncanny resemblance to this flag...


I bought some aloe' vera knowing I would be in pain and have been applying it liberally ever since. I called my Mom to ask her if there was anything else I should do. She was concerned that I had sun poisoning and asked me a battery of questions to adequately diagnose me. She wanted to check that I was able to sweat- that I wasn't dehydrated.... "Are you drinking alot of water? Are you sweating?" When I told her I wasn't because I was in my house that is cool, she was stumped. I downed a glass of cold water as she gave me her alternate plan: "Put your finger up your nose and see if it's moist. " Like a panicked but obedient dog I obeyed! With my finger up my nose I realized that my Mom was mocking the concern she herself had stirred in me. She could barely squeak out the words "I just made that up" because she was laughing so hard knowing I had actually followed her bogus instructions. She also wanted to check if I had a fever...so I got out our thermometer and checked 96.5. This number concerned my Mom even more than my lack of sweating. I informed her I just had cold water, making my mouth chilled and got in trouble for the hydrating she had just warned me to do. She cautioned however not to drink too much water- we wouldn't want to over hydrate and my system not have enough salt. Ahhhhhh. So to everyone who has seen me go into a panic over being unsure if a pill I swallowed made it out of my throat and into my body, to everyone who has ever watched my check the gas stove dials like it was my job, to everyone who has endured me resetting the carbon monoxide detector (TWICE! just in case)---- I offer this as evidence that it is all because of my mother. Any complaints can be submitted to her. :) Thank you Mother!

3 comments:

  1. That finger up the nose story was so funny! Sorry about the sunburn :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The McCue's used to put bacon in their waffles all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always meant to be a McCue... :)

    ReplyDelete