Thursday, November 12, 2009

Goodbye Pi-Yo, Hello Joe!

Pi-Yo, Bye-Yo
Tuesday morning Alli and I met at Woman's Workout World. I was late. As usual, the CTA gave me a hard time. As usual, it won the skirmish and as usual, dropped me off somewhere further away from the gym than I intended to be. When I came running in, my dear friend had a mat set up for me. Things looked a little different than the last time I had been there.
1. Alli and I were positioned dead center right behind the teacher.
2. There was a different teacher.
3. There were exercise balls in front of everyone's mat.
Hmmmm. Apparently, in the moments before my arrival the substitute teacher announced to the class that she did not indeed know Pi-Yo and so she was going to teach us Kickin' Core Ball instead. Alli and I are not ones to back down from a challenge, so we decided to try it out. And TRY we did. We positioned the ball between our knees as instructed and flailed about attempting to keep up with the rapid fire sequence of squats and kicks and punches and clapping! (yelling hi-ya comes in the next level if I remember correctly!) I have to admit, it is much harder to follow along when you are laughing so hard you cannot keep your eyes open or get your breath. I couldn't help myself though.... my exercise ball kept rolling away and I got in trouble with Sparky (Alli's affectionate name for the class leader) for not bringing shoes to a high-impact workout! After literally 5 minutes of this embarrassing hysteria invoking shenanigan of a work out, Alli leaned over to see if coffee might be more our pace for this AM. So we put away our mats and gave our exercise balls to poor souls coming in even later than me. Don't hate, you would have left too, if it happened to you! And really it worked out much to our advantage, we got to say we went to the gym that morning, we enjoyed a cup of coffee (more like dessert for me) made by a very fine looking young man named Joe and had a great conversation on the outdoor patio between brown line trains coming and going. Hooray for adventures!

Seen & Heard on the Streets:

- I saw a police officer on a 4 wheeler pull over car today in downtown Chicago. I would like to ask that man just what angle he plans to use when explaining the situation to his wife... :)
- Earlier this week I walked past this very professional business woman, talking loudly on her phone. She said, "So then I text my Dad that I was as lesbian...." and the rest was out of earshot. Text, really?
- 2 college age guys were on their way to 7-11 to pick up a beer pong kit (OK, I don't know that's where they were going, but I do know those kits are being sold there now. hahaha) One was talking about an awful date he had been on recently. He confessed, "I am only funny I guess when I am alone!" ba-dum-ch!
- Imagine a woman looking like a hot mess at 6:30am at a Starbucks in the loop- like she just came from trying to work out. She's laughing pretty close to uncontrollably and when she is able to take a breath and speak, the words come out fast and much too loud. "I couldn't even keep that ball between my knees!" Congratulations, you just shared TMI. (Confession: That one was me- in the context of trying to follow along in Kicking Core Ball with Sparky. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment