Friday, February 5, 2010

Did you ever know that you're my hero?


David Jeremiah.

Really truly this man is my HERO! In my hear of hearts I am most grateful to this man for his faithful ministry.  I had been waiting 6 years to see his name on the Founder's Week program...... and this year it was!

My wonderful Mother took the Amtrak to Chicago for the occasion. We were able to sit near the front and enjoy him preaching the Word in person. Afterward, we stood in line to meet him. I am not starstruck by many, but this is a man I would wait in line for! We met his wife Donna. She was wearing lots of sparkly things and I liked her. He offered a handshake that I miscalculated so instead, I gave him a hug. :) My Mom encouraged me to tell him how thankful we have been and are for his ministry. What a gift!

For awhile in high school I had panic attacks and anxiety. I would never want to relive that year of intense emotions (tears, sleeplessness, confusion, counseling, brokenness and guilt), but I would not give back that year of intense growth either. The LORD really showed me Who He is during that time, drew me close and healed some messed up places. My Mom and I would often listen to David Jeremiah on the radio on the way home from counseling- a couple times we had to pull over because we were both in tears at the truth he was sharing. He was going through a series called "A Bend in the Road" where he shared about some hard roads he walked in his battle with cancer and lessons we could learn from the desperate heart cries of David's Psalms. We ordered that series and there was awhile when I listened to one cassette each night just to get to sleep. It really was through those cassettes that I learned how to cope with pain and how to have faith when circumstances looked impossible; how much peace the Word of God brings and how freeing it is to know God's forgiveness.

I know that the healing was not David Jeremiah's doing. It was totally the Lord's and I'm so grateful for God using David Jeremiah's life and words to grow me up in my faith. If I had a list of life goals (which I often think of writing but can never come up with them on the spot), meeting David Jeremiah would definitely be on it....and now crossed off!

No comments:

Post a Comment