Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Commute

Every weekday morning I play a game of time with the snooze button and the train schedule.

This morning I won. (insert evil, victorious laughter here) Last night you would have thought I was defeated though.... I forgot to set my alarm. oops! At 7:01am, I woke up. To my credit; I did not panic, just did what needed to be done and was at the train station by 7:14am. The train came by 7:15am! Somehow I managed to get on the "early" train to work! This train should probably be referred to more accurately as the "responsible, get to work 10 minutes early" train. Instead I usually take the "just need to put on deodorant before leaving and arrive at work right on time" train.

Last week I set 2 new records for the commute home- the shortest and the longest. 25 minutes and 65 minutes. The longest commute was 40 minutes of being delayed because of signal clearance.... 40 minutes of CTA apologizing for the inconvenience...40 minutes of me imagining the previous afternoon's ride... 40 minutes of additional people watching.

To date, my favorite sight from the el was of an older man with a pet squirrel who was doing tricks on the platform to entertain those waiting. It was a kind of bizarre circus act that you couldn't look away from... a bizarrely AWESOME circus. :)

1 comment:

  1. 65 minutes!!! oh my... that is impressively bad news :). miss hearing these stories in person (although I hate the one about the old guys. gives me the creeps and I like older people!) be careful.

    ReplyDelete