Thursday, August 26, 2010

Convocation of Baklava

Tuesday was convocation at Moody Bible Institute. I have been to many convocation's here before- 13 actually. There is something about them that never gets old though, something timeless. Seeing professors that you love marching down the center aisles in their regalia, hearing the rousing organ tune, the crowd singing “Great is Thy Faithfulness”; it all feels like magic to me.

Magic is difficult to capture in words… It’s not fairies or “abracadabra!” It is this mingling of the richness of the past and the freshness of the new year. It is the converging of learned professors and ambitious freshman. It is the jumble of emotion that comes with your first day of classes and your last first day of classes. It is the hope growing in every person that this year will hold something new, that they will be changed for the better. It is being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses…and keeping your eyes on the prize set before you.

Anyway, maybe that seems dramatic coming from someone so young- it’s not like I have been here for 20 years or anything. I can’t help it though- I am enamored by this place! More than that, I am indebted to the many places around this campus where the Lord’s work has transformed and stirred me in my deepest part.

Every building, every dorm room, every classroom, every plaza bench could probably tell an amazing story or two of how God has been faithful. Maybe that’s the true magic of it. We are not just a part of a beautiful story or singing a pretty song, but we are caught up in the realness of a God Who has proven Himself over and over and over again. It’s the layers of God’s faithfulness here that I savor… kinda like baklava. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write and the pictures you create. And apparently I need to try baklava. Thanks for sharing your perceptive passion.

    ReplyDelete