Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Always Surprised

Somehow I am always surprised at how opinionated I am.
Today there was this luncheon with employees who are alum of the Institute. The Student Development Audit Committee brought us together to ask us about our experience with Student Development in our time as students.
Maybe this makes me a total nerd but I live for this kind of think-tank/question and answer environment. Especially when it comes to making systems run well- and helping improve them. Words like 'discuss' and 'process' are my friends. It seems that the better an understanding you have of something (or someone for that matter), the more you can be flexible and make wise adjustments. Anyway- maybe it's vain, but I love thinking that my input can help.
Today around the table in the Northfield room, eating my turkey and cheese from a boxed lunch, trying not to chew louder than the guy next to me was talking- I was in my glory. The Audit Committee asked a question about the vision for the institute. It was interesting to hear several of the other alums say that they were waiting to hear the President's vision for the school. And then there was me. hahahahha.
As I started to speak, the camera lens softened, swelling patriotic music started playing and by the end of my speech my arm was raised like the statue of liberty declaring, "I want to see bravery! I want to see radical obedience!" The committee was probably thinking, "uhhhhh...... Cut!" I wasn't taking myself super seriously- like I really am not the vision everyone should listen too. But I did have one... and I had thought about it before this meeting. I don't think that's normal. :)
Other things I never cease to be surprised by:
1. How memorable my trips to the chiropractor are usually.
This week I wasn't feeling well when I went and was having trouble with making small talk. The Asian Receptionist came in get me started and this is about how it went:
Asian Receptionist: Did you have a good weekend?
Me: Yeah
Asian Receptionist: What did you do?
Me: I cleaned. Tried to find this mystery smell in our apartment. Maybe something died in the wall.
Asian Receptionist: Is that all you did?
Me: Oh no. I did some fun stuff too. (blanking on what I did at all)
Asian Receptionist: Like what?
Me: Ummm. Went to a movie with a friend (not anticipating his obvious next question)
Asian Receptionist: What movie?
(Long pause as I try to come up with how to spin the fact that me and my old college roommate went to see Zac Effron in "17 Again")
Me: 17 Again (sheepishly)
Asian Receptionist: oh. (shocked and slightly amazed- probably not really, but...)
Me: Yeah, I took some little girls I know....
THIS IS A TOTAL LIE! Ridiculous! I am not proud of this, but it is a funny story. I totally panicked and that's what came out and then I had to stick with it because- who lies about Zac Effron movies?? Seriously. I then coached myself for when Dr. Hockey came in. "Rachel, when he asks you how your weekend was... DO NOT under any circumstances mention the movies or Zac Effron or phantom little girls... !!!!!!"

2. How much fun it is hanging out with Justin, Joe and Liz.
Last night we went to Justin's new place. It is incredible! I tried real hard not to be impressed, but alas- I was. It was Justin's 25th birthday. We sang him Happy Birthday, he blew out the imaginary candles, ate cake and played Taboo. We had a pretty intense competition, which I am proud to report- the girls won! One very fine moment is Elizabeth trying to describe doorbell to me. I got both the words but for some reason I was having trouble putting them together. "Door knocker, ring door, ring the bell at the door, knock bell, ............!"

3. How I can NEVER get to bed before Midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment